The Wilmington – Cape Fear Home Builders Association is offering a “90 Minute Law School” on Tuesday, Dec. 10 from 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
The seminar will be presented by NAHB’s Director of Legal Research, David N. Crump, Jr. He will explain in layman’s terms some basic legal concepts that are important to those in the home building industry. The presentation will be custom crafted to reflect laws in our area. Crump will also be available to answer specific legal questions from attendees during the seminar.
Topics may include:
- The Liability Climate
- Contract Concepts – including, fixed price and cost plus contracts, change orders, subcontracts, immigration compliance clauses, and escalation clauses
- Warranties – Express and Implied
- Immigration Law – Form I-9 verification, E-Verify, Enforcement concerns
- Mechanics Lien Law
- The Affordable Care Act
- Business Management – Best Practices, Business continuation
- Copyright law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution – Mediation, Arbitration, Small claims court